Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Grand Opening on Saturday!

I am going to have the grand opening of Hubert's Haberdashery Saturday if it kills me! I worked all yesterday afternoon and this morning and I still don't quite have the wall shelf filled. I made red long johns, white union suits, beige union suits, scarves, leather gloves, and pocket watches on chains. There are still two empty shelves.
I left the 1908 Sears Catalog that I was working from at a friend's house yesterday so I am basically flying blind today.
It's like I have said before, estimate the time that you think it will take you to complete a miniature scene and then multiply that time by 10. Today I am thinking that the multiplication should be by 12. After all, I am working in 1:12 scale. It would only make sense that it takes you not 10, but 12 times as long to do.
The other thing that I finished was the fake tree in the photography corner. In the tintype it is rather sparse and kind of beat up looking, so I did it that way. I went out in the back yard and found a piece of Nandina(AKA Heavenly Bamboo). When the seed pods dry out the limbs that they grow on turn brown and get really tough. I knocked the seed balls off and replaced them with punched out and sculpted leaves of paper. I just glued one leaf onto each place that held a seed ball. I used some of these by the Witch's Warehouse and left the seed balls on and no leaves. They make really great spooky trees. The seed balls are naturally red/orange and turn a kind of dark brown when they are completely dry. Incidentally, I use dark green Cason drawing paper from Michael's for punching the leaves. It comes in huge sheets and one will last you just about forever. It's a little heavier than regular paper and works well for cupping. I do that on a doubled piece of leather. If you use the back side(rawhide) the leaves won't bounce all over the place when you are using a ball stylus to cup them.
Well.........I still have shelves to fill and signs to hang. Time is flying and I'm not having that much fun. Must finish! I want to play a different game now. See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Denise said...

This is the first blog that I have been interested in following and look forward to reading it nightly. I was hoping that you would give some tutorials on the vest, nightshirts, bowties, socks and pocket watches. The grand opening in a few days should be exciting! Thanks for sharing.

Katie said...

I love the long jons!! You even put the butt flaps on there...at least that's what I'm assuming they are. Too cute! You've done such a great job on the whole shop!!